Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Scene Depiction : Cinderella Man

http://www.youtube.com/movie?v=RYKpdO_HEOQ&feature=mv_sr


As I’ve said before, The Notebook isn’t my favorite movie but it has some of my favorite movie scenes. As I was looking for the one I wanted to use for this blog I was dismayed to find that it wasn’t on YouTube. Since I love the time period that it’s set in, I had to go back a little earlier in the scheme of things to the 1930s and found myself looking at scenes from Cinderella Man a Depression Era boxing movie.

Although I was unable to find this scene on YouTube either I ended up watching the entire movie today and was struck by one scene. In that scene Russell Crowe and Renee Zellweger and their daughter are in a dimly lit, messy apartment where the view can see that they have hit hard times. Zellweger serves the little girl a piece of fried bologna and she eats it hungrily and then she places another piece out for Crowe. Before Crowe sits to eat his breakfast the daughter asks for a little more. Zellweger replies that she can’t have anymore because she has to save some for her brothers. After Crowe sees the look on his hungry daughter’s face he goes on to tell her about a dream he had the night before. In his dream he talks about all the fancy food he got to eat. Once the little girl’s eyes couldn’t get any bigger from the desire for that food, Crowe goes on to tell her that he is so full from the food he ate during his dream that he won’t be able to eat breakfast. With that he asks his daughter if she will help him by eating his piece of bologna and she thankfully accepts. With that the scene is over ending with the mother briefly shaking her head and smiling at the kindness that her starving husband showed to his hungry daughter.   

                                                                       (http://www.listal.com/viewimage/2078416h)

No comments:

Post a Comment